Our mission is to represent visually and chronologically the priceless heritage of Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota, which includes Lac qui Parle State Park, and the towns of Bellingham, Boyd, Dawson, Louisburg, Madison, Marietta and Nassau. Lac qui Parle (locals pronounce it Lak kwa PAR-uhl ) is a French translation of the native Dakota name, meaning “lake that speaks” and is a reference to a lake formed by the widening of the Minnesota River along the northeastern border of the county.
The Lac qui Parle County Historical Society collects stories, artifacts, photographs and documents related to Lac qui Parle County and its residents, including all aspects of the county such as farming, education, health care, pioneers of the county, businesses of the county and organizations past and present.
Lac qui Parle County is located on the original and contemporary homelands of the Dakota people in Minnesota. The Lac qui Parle County Historical Society is currently in the process of interviewing and telling the stories of the Dakota people.
History of the
Historical Society
The Lac qui Parle County Historical Society (LqPCHS) was established in1948 for the discovery, preservation, and dissemination of knowledge about the history of LqP County and the State of Minnesota. The LqPCHS is governed by an elected, nine-member board. Membership is open to all persons and institutions interested in the history of LqP County. The society exists on membership fees, fundraisers, grants, and donations.
Originally the LqP County Museum was located in the Court House and then was moved to the Madison City Hall. In 1972, a new structure was built to display and store all the artifacts and collections for public knowledge, viewing, and research.
There are several historical buildings on the site.
Log Cabin
The log cabin was originally moved to the Lac qui Parle County fairgrounds in 1949 and then eventually moved to the museum site.
The log cabin is built mostly of large elm and cottonwood logs. Nels Hantho was the carpenter and builder and was helped by the owner, Halvor Flaa. Halvor lived there for several years. When it was no longer used as a home, it was the first schoolhouse of Hantho township in Section 16 and one of the first school buildings in the Lac qui Parle County. G.O. Kively first taught school in this building in 1880. The school was held in the Spring and there were no “grades.” Ole Stemsrud taught the second year, and his brother Hans was the schoolmaster the third year. The building served as schoolhouse until 1882, when the building became a granary.
The log cabin was “discovered” in 1935 on the John P. Dahl farm in Hantho township, it was being used as a granary and warehouse. Many people figured it was just a granary. It was donated and maintained by the Lac qui Parle County Historical Society and brought to the Lac qui Parle Fairgrounds in 1949. In 1972, the log cabin was moved to the Lac qui Parle County Historical Museum.
Gas Station
Martin A. Johnson of Cerro Gordo Township originally constructed the building to be a gas station in 1933. Business suffered from the Depression so was moved to Watson in 1935 and a year later sold to George Breeze at MN Gas & Oil out of Willmar. It was moved to Madison in 1936 set on logs and pulled by the same 1926 Chevy truck and pushed from behind by a 1928 Chevy car that helped move it the other times. It set where the current Cenex Station is now on the corner of Highway 75 and Highway 40. Gasoline was 13 cents a gallon and they netted ½ cents per gallon.
Ownership changed and the gas station moved onto Mannie Arneson property further south on Highway 75. By 1957, it gradually fell into disrepair and Oscar O. Peterson bought it, cleaned it up, restored it and used it for a real estate office. Eventually, Oscar sold it back to Mannie Arneson, who eventually sold it to Stan Bjorgan who moved it out on his farm north of Madison. It remained there until 2001 when it was donated and moved to the Lac qui Parle Historical Society and Museum by Arvid Gollnick, Art Dove, and Stan Bjorgan.
The gasoline pumps are from Haydenville and donated by Burdien Nenow of Madison.
School House
The one-room school house was moved to the fairgrounds in 1962 and then to the museum site after the museum was built.
District #43, Cerro Gordo Township, Section 5 was in operation from 1886 to 1955. It was called Pleasant View School. School terms in early days were only five or six months in session. This was due to farm work needs and for youth to attend planned parochial school. Water for drinking was carried from neighbors. Teachers had to light the fires, close down the fires at the end of school hours; shovel the paths to the schoolhouse and the ‘catalog’ supply little house. For cars being driven (by a few) corn cobs were used to place in the radiator, should they lose the plug that had come with the auto. The schoolhouse was moved here in 1962. Actual country school desks and books are there now to make it a real experience. Displays are constantly updated to keep it interesting for members and non-members that visit on a regular basis. Pictures on the wall have been of the 8th grade graduate, district country schools and the students at the schools.
Machine Shed
The machine shed has numerous types of farming and blacksmith equipment, and old vehicles from the past. A mail wagon from the 1900’s is just an example of what the shed has to offer. Effort has been made to label each piece so there is not a question of what you are looking at. The log cabin, gas station, and outhouse are easy to look at and you may create a story of your own. Courthouse fence and beautiful gardens are an addition to the beauty of what the museum has to offer.
1927 Ford Pickup
A 1927 Ford pick-up truck, donated to the museum by Steve Haverberg in 2024, is on exhibit in the museum’s machine shed. The truck is in excellent condition and is drivable. It was restored by Gerald (Jerry) Haverberg, Steve Haverberg’s father. Jerry found the truck in pieces in the grove of a neighbor’s farm. It took him three years to fully restore the truck to its original specifications. The Haverbergs drove the truck for years, including in parades and exhibiting it at car shows where it won awards. Car enthusiasts may note the differences between this early truck and the vehicles of today including the additional pedal, crank starter and lack of interior amenities.
Make A Donation
We depend solely on donations for our funding. CLICK HERE to contribute.
Send Us A Message
Do you have a question about us?
Email us at lqp@lqpcountymuseum.org
Visit Us In Person
We're open Tuesday–Friday
10:00 am-4:00 pm
